Sunday, April 19, 2020

Privacy Invasion

Prior to watching Catherine Crump’s TedTalk video about our privacy, I had no idea what kinds of things have been done. I didn’t know that license plate readers were posted at traffic lights. I didn’t know they were on cop cars. I didn’t know that the police could track anyone's whereabouts in this fashion. It is very concerning that the police can find basically any place that you visit frequently. Even if the places you are going isn't a reason for concern on it’s own, I feel like this type of tracking could create a lot of circumstantial evidence when it comes to crime and people could very easily become wrongfully accused. 
Christopher Soghoian mentions how our own government, any government, or any person really could hack into the surveillance systems of telephone companies can listen in on any phone call you participate in. However, things like text messages and FaceTime calls are actually private, which is a relief for many. He posed a very important point when talking about the safety of our country. Some may argue that the government should be able to listen in on conversations and read texts so they can prevent terrorist attacks. However, if the government can access the terrorists information, they can access anyone's information as well. In the past, when the American government has been able to access our information, so was the Chinese government. 
Cayla doll
Finn Myrstad mentioned a toy, Cayla, that listened in on conversations and then shared that information with unnamed third parties. This is concerning because I know I had a lot of toys that talked back or responded to voice commands when I was a child. The toy Cayla was banned in Germany and taken off the shelves for many stores. I strongly agree with Mystrad when he said that technological devices need to have security and privacy measures in place before they hit the market to avoid issues like were experienced with Cayla. I also relate to him saying that we rarely read the terms. I have never once read the terms and conditions for a single app I’ve downloaded. This is mainly because not only are they extremely long, but they are hard to understand and make out exactly what the terms are. 

These were the TedTalks that stuck out to me the most because I feel like they apply the most to me. I drive past police cars all the time, they probably have hundreds if not thousands pictures of me at places I have been. The government has had the ability to hear every single one of my phone calls. I have absolutely no idea what the apps on my phone know about me because like many others, I have never understood much less read the terms and conditions. I feel as if this lack of privacy doesn’t necessarily scare me or make me angry because, as I mentioned in previous log posts, I feel like I have nothing of value for the government, it still gives me a bit of an uneasy feeling. If we know all of this is happening, it makes me wonder what else governments and third parties are doing that we don’t know about yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment